Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cantua Creek Road Race pt.1

This saturday will be my first (real) race of the season. the cyclocross race was just for kicks so i dont count it. Cantua Creek RR is a 26(ish) mile course done two times. (52ish miles total) the course is mostly flat with some rolling hills through farm and dairy (stinky) land. the road conditions seems to be fairly smooth with a few rough stretches of asphalt.
Because of the flat nature of the course i will be running my reynolds strikes (wheels) on my tarmac. I am a little concerned though because those wheels are more likely to get a flat tire then my mavics so...........fingers crossed. the reynolds are a carbon fiber deep dish wheel which gives an excellent advantage in aerodynamics.
To be perfectly honest im not expecting a ton from this race. My pre-race workup has been horrible and my mileage is possibly at an all time low. My lower back is still killing me and seriously decreases my power output. Even my cardio is pathetic that im burning out and blowing up way too soon. Taking all that in consideration i still plan to get the best result possible. I will have one teammate in the race (who is stronger than me) so i will try to work for him the best i can. I will do my best to stay off the front as much as possible and blend in safely in the middle. I want to focus on keeping myself relaxed and trying to read the other riders around me on how they are feeling and try to anticipate their moves. Sadly, i believe that any top finish is not practical but i hope to finish with the group and will fight for the best position i can.
I think my next race after cantua will be the madera stage race march 9th followed up by the lost hills road race april 6th. somewhere in between those 2 races though i have to squeeze in the birth of my son. (right Laura).

stay tuned for part 2

1 comment:

  1. ummmm April 6th huh, yah we will see if you make it to that one haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete